Summer placements - 12 weeks
We offer 12 week paid internships each summer which give university students the opportunity to gain valuable work experience and knowledge to support their studies. This experience provides exposure to challenging and worthwhile projects working across a range of different service areas giving them a taste of what a career in local government is like. Interns have access to a buddy and mentor throughout their placement with a tailored training and development programme.
Meet the 2019 interns
- Sian, Environmental Health
- Lizzie, Families and Communities
- Amy, Housing Options
- Jessica, Housing Options
- Emily, Housing Standards
- Natalie, Leisure and Culture
- Holly, Strategic Property (industrial placement)
- Marcus, Planning Development
- Sarah, Waste and Street Scene
Industrial placements – 39-40 weeks
By undertaking an industrial placement at West Suffolk you will:
- develop professional skills sought after by graduate employers
- learn more about the public sector, the different local government organisations within Suffolk and different roles available
- have the opportunity to apply your academic knowledge in a practical working environment
- gain ideas for future career pathways.
The interns work together on a group project on behalf of the council during their time with us. Last year’s intern project resulted in a successful free public event which bought together local businesses and charities to raise awareness of loneliness and the services available for individuals to access.
We are proud to say that in the past three years, 13 of our interns have gone on to start their professional careers in local and central government following graduation, with seven of them currently working with us.
We advertise internship opportunities in December each year for the following summer.
To be eligible for an internship you must be an undergraduate at a UK university and be eligible to work in the UK. Interns receive the national living wage.